QnA in the Revelation at the bottom of this playlist.
Notes for chapter 1
- What is meant by the seven spirits?
- Please find the information more fully at the RwD site (search Seven Spirits)
- Rev 1:5, Christ the first begotten of the dead. Was not Moses raised from the dead first
- Look up the word “[first] begotten” Preeminent
- Where in the Bible does a younger receive the blessings of the firstborn? Jacob and Esau.
- Rev 1:5, Christ the first begotten of the dead. Was not Moses raised from the dead first
- 1:5 says Jesus died. Was that the second death?
- In a word, “no.” Search “second death” in the Bible.
- Leviticus 1:1-4 – every day of the year
- Leviticus 16:15, the Lord’s goat, then the scapegoat, 21-22 – once each year
- The first death was for the sin of the people. The second death was for the sin of the people… the deaths are for SIN, there was the first death for sin, and the second.
- The land not inhabited is a reference to Revelation 20, the 1000 years where the enemy of souls will be kept until he is destroyed, along with sin, forever.
- The sinners’ sins are not forgiven, the sin is transferred. The sinner is forgiven!
- 1:8 – Why does Revelation 1:8 call Jesus “Almighty.”
- It really doesn’t… it’s the way you read the text: Read 1:8
- Are both the Father and the Son the Alpha and the Omega?
- Depending on how it is understood. The alpha of everything is the Father – 1 Cor 1:8
- The Son is the author of our faith – Hebrews 12:2
- What are the eyes as a flame of fire?
- Find the answers here: https://www.revelationwithdaniel.com/eyes-of-the-lord/
Notes for chapter 2-3
- Rev 2:6,15 Who are the Nicolaitans?
Revelation 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Revelation 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
“In the Greek there is much similarity between the two readings, ΟΜΙΣΩ and ΟΜΟΙΩΣ. “In like manner” refers to the similarity between those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, and those who hold the doctrine of Balaam. It confirms the view that two sects are meant.” https://biblehub.com/revelation/2-15.htm
Acts 6:5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch:
Searched: Idol* fornication (only in three NT)
Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Acts 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Acts 21:25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.
Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Revelation 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
- Rev 2:10 Tribulation 10 days what does this mean? Was this fulfilled and going to happen again?
Each church has a specific time and place, they also apply to a certain era, yet each is applicable to all times and places.
“The message to the church in Smyrna is also for our encouragement.” 18LtMs, Lt 6, 1903, par. 39
- I was wondering about verse 2:17. Why is the manna called “hidden manna”? Also what is the meaning of the white stone?
Where was the manna of the OT hidden?
Heb. 9:3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;
Heb. 9:4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron’s rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;
Also, the word white mainly refers to something from Heaven. (Search white in Revelation 2:7)
Remember the priests…
Ex. 28:15 And thou shalt make the breastplate of judgment with cunning work; after the work of the ephod thou shalt make it; of gold, of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine twined linen, shalt thou make it.
Ex. 28:16 Foursquare it shall be being doubled; a span shall be the length thereof, and a span shall be the breadth thereof.
Ex. 28:17 And thou shalt set in it settings of stones, even four rows of stones: the first row shall be a sardius, a topaz, and a carbuncle: this shall be the first row.
Ex. 28:18 And the second row shall be an emerald, a sapphire, and a diamond.
Ex. 28:19 And the third row a ligure, an agate, and an amethyst.
Ex. 28:20 And the fourth row a beryl, and an onyx, and a jasper: they shall be set in gold in their inclosings.
Ex. 28:21 And the stones shall be with the names of the children of Israel, twelve, according to their names, like the engravings of a signet; every one with his name shall they be according to the twelve tribes.
Revelation Chapter 2b
- What does it mean that Jesus would give the morning star in Revelation 2:28?
When looking up the phrase “morning star” I could only find one other reference and meaning of the phrase:
Rev. 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
(Morning used twice in Revelation, both only 1x in Greek)
Consider Galatians 4:4-6.
- What does Revelation 3:9 mean that those of the synagogue of Satan would worship before the feet of the church?
Revelation 20:5, 7-9 and Philippians 2:8-11
- What does it mean in Revelation 3:12 that the overcomer would be made a pillar in the temple of God?
Early Writings says, right after quoting the message to the church of Philadelphia, “These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God. Revelation 14:4, 5.” EW 30.3
Search pillars in 3:12.
- Why does Jesus in 3:12 call His Father “my God?” Isn’t Christ God?
Actually, that verse has Christ calling His Father God 4 times!
John 1:1 also calls Christ God. But! A really good question to consider is, in that verse which God has a God?
Matt. 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
John 20:16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
Heb. 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
Heb. 1:9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
“The day will come when you will see that it does not pay to trifle with the interests of your soul, allowing it to become diseased, so inefficient that Christ declares, “Ye are neither cold nor hot. So then, because ye are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of My mouth.” [See Revelation 3:15, 16.] What does this mean? That He will no longer present the name of such a one to His Father.” 19LtMs, Lt 253, 1904, par. 5
“The Laodicean message applies to the people of God who profess to believe present truth. The greater part are lukewarm professors, having a name but no zeal.” 4T 87.1
“The only hope for the Laodiceans is a clear view of their standing before God, a knowledge of the nature of their disease. They are neither cold nor hot; they occupy a neutral position, and at the same time flatter themselves that they are in need of nothing. The True Witness hates this lukewarmness. He loathes the indifference of this class of persons. Said He: “I would thou wert cold or hot.” Like lukewarm water, they are nauseous to His taste. They are neither unconcerned nor selfishly stubborn. They do not engage thoroughly and heartily in the work of God, identifying themselves with its interests; but they hold aloof and are ready to leave their posts when their worldly personal interests demand it. The internal work of grace is wanting in their hearts; of such it is said: “Thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.” 4T 87.2
“They were blind, yet felt that they were well off. The Spirit of God did not illumine their minds, and they did not perceive their sinfulness; therefore they did not feel the necessity of help.” 4T 88.1
“The light grows dim and goes out.”
Notes for chapter 4
—Why does the voice in Revelation 4:1 say to John that he would be shown things that would be hereafter if what is described next already happened?
—Inspiration talks about present truth, was there to be a continuing “Present Truth” that changes?
—Rev. 4 Vs 6, The 4 beast full of eyes before and behind. Vs 7, 8 and 9, the 4 beast described.
—Are the twenty four elders angels or men? I had always heard that they were redeemed humans who Jesus took to heaven after His resurrection, but I thought I heard you say recently that they are angels
—Rev 4:4. Elders with crowns? Elders with white robes? Why would the elder wear these items if they were ministering angels? Or are they a remnant of the mini resurrection at Christ’s resurrection?
—Question.. Are they the Adam’s from other worlds.??
“Redeemed us/men/people?” Looking at 30 different translations, most use the words “people” or “men,” and many italicize ‘men’, showing that it is not in the original text. The word “us” is used only 7 times in Revelation. If the word should be “us” instead of “men/people” in this context, would the “us” also include the “four beasts” that are mentioned in verse eight? It seems the best translation would be “men/people.”
They are elders (specially, “an Israelite Sanhedrist (also figuratively, member of the celestial council) or Christian “presbyter”: — elder(-est), old.” — Greek Strong’s). The word “elder” is used 67 times in the New Testament. In Revelation 7:9-17 John sees the great multitude standing before the throne with white robes and palm branches, praising God and the Lamb. An elder then approaches John and says, “What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?” He then identifies them as those who’ve been redeemed from the earth—coming out of great tribulation—implying that he as an elder was not a part of that group.
In 5:8 they are seen as “having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.” These 24 elders are part of the communication network that God has set up to answer our prayers, so referring to them as humans would be a bit of a stretch in my mind.
Also, chapter four is a picture of the throne room of God the Father where He is alone sitting on His throne before the 24 elders and the four living creatures, then chapter five shows Christ, the Son, as a lion or a lamb come in to sit upon the throne next to His Father. If the 24 elders are men, why were they there and honored on their thrones before Christ was honored and placed on His Father’s throne?
If Christ can be known as the “King of kings” (Revelation 19:16), then who is Christ a king of? He is the “Lord of sabaoth” (sabaoth meaning armies). He is seen coming in 19:14 with “the armies which were in heaven follow[ing] him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.”
Why do the elders wear victory crowns instead of kingly crowns? (4:4, 10) Victory over what? They have been warring against the temptations and deceptions of the enemy ever since the original fall of Lucifer (see Isaiah 14:12-15). The holy angels “excel in strength” (Psalms 103:20), and “have overcome the wicked one” (1 John 2:13).
The Bible gives a clear description of all the inhabitants of heaven and the earth worshipping two living Beings: God the Father and His Son. There are only two who should be worshipped, God because He is the “only true God” according to His Son (John 17:3), and the Son of God whom God the Father has exalted (Philippians 2:8-11, Hebrews 1:6).
Singing in Revelation 4:10 and a NEW song in 5.
- Daniel 6 – Darius, Daniel, 2, 120…
- “The news of man’s fall spread through heaven. Every harp was hushed. The angels cast their crowns from their heads in sorrow. All heaven was in agitation.” EW 148.2
- “The Son of God prayed in agony. Great drops of blood gathered upon His face and fell to the ground. Angels were hovering over the place, witnessing the scene, but only one was commissioned to go and strengthen the Son of God in His agony. There was no joy in heaven. The angels cast their crowns and harps from them and with the deepest interest silently watched Jesus. They wished to surround the Son of God, but the commanding angels suffered them not, lest, as they should behold His betrayal, they should deliver Him; for the plan had been laid, and it must be fulfilled.” EW 167.1
- “Then all the heavenly host surrounded their majestic Commander, and with the deepest adoration bowed before Him and cast their glittering crowns at His feet. And then they touched their golden harps, and in sweet, melodious strains filled all heaven with rich music and songs to the Lamb who was slain, yet lives again in majesty and glory.” EW 190.2
- “When the Lord makes up His jewels, the true, the frank, the honest, will be looked upon with pleasure. Angels are employed in making crowns for such ones, and upon these star-gemmed crowns will be reflected, with splendor, the light which radiates from the throne of God.” CCh 179.1
Notes for chapter 5
Questions from my family,
Rev. 5 – Vs 1, the book written within and on backside, sealed w/seven seals? What is the book and the seven seals?
The word book is mentioned eight times in this chapter, whereas throne is mentioned five times.
The seals are opened, specifically mentioned in 6:1, and what happened as a result? Why was John crying? Time would not continue!
- Verse 1 “In the right hand of Him that sat on the throne” – See Deuteronomy 17:18-20
- 9MR 7.2, EGW, “There in His open hand lay the book, the roll of the history of God’s providences, the prophetic history of nations and the church. Herein was contained the divine utterances, His authority, His commandments, His laws, the whole symbolic counsel of the Eternal, and the history of all ruling powers in the nations. In symbolic language was contained in that roll the influence of every nation, tongue, and people from the beginning of earth’s history to its close.”
- “Written within and on the backside” – See Ezekiel 2:7-3:4
- Making something official, as in the kings signet: (1 Kings 21:8, Nehemiah 9:38, Esther 3:12, 8:8-10, Daniel 6:17, Daniel 12:4, 9, Matthew 27:66), Something close(d) up: (Job 14:17, Song 4:12, Ezekiel 28:12, Daniel 9:24), A stamp signifying a commitment or a transaction: (Song 8:6, Isaiah 8:13-9:7, Jeremiah 32:9-14, John 3:33, 6:27, Romans 4:11) etc.
- See Isa. 29:9-14 (Matthew 15:7-9)
- Revelation 5:2 The book (scroll) was by the side of the king on his throne containing the law of God written by his own hand (Deuteronomy 17:18-20).
- Ezekiel 2:7-3:4 speaks of a book written on two sides which contain the Words of the Lord (similar to the book in Revelation 4 and 5).
- The Lamb is the One who breaks/opens the seals in Revelation six. The book/scroll must also contain the deeds of all those who have lived on this earth either in concert or contrast to that law. (The final seal will be broken in chapter 8:1 when there is silence in heaven as Christ comes for His people… the book/ scroll will then be fully unsealed and we will be able to look over the things written therein as judges in Heaven, Revelation 20:4). Paul says in Romans 2:16, “God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel [the things written by the prophets—and how we have reacted to them].”
Notes for chapter 6
—Is there a connection between the four horses in Revelation 6 and the four horses in Zechariah 6?
- There may be! The messages to the churches are to the angels (2-3), the four beasts are who say “come and see” in the seals (6), and the trumpets are blown by angels (8-11)—so the angels may be referred to as the horses as they are in Zechariah.
—In Revelation 6:6 what is the meaning of the wine?
- The series I did in the Revelation playlist on YouTube covers this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRLGA3VD5Ys&list=PLh69clxAQWHYgwiavaEDi0Lsysfsr3Tm8
—Are the four horses in Zechariah symbolic of time periods as well?
- I don’t think so, though it could be! Here is a letter from 1900 that includes the horses in Zachariah:
I make an appeal to our brethren to whom this letter may come. Our brethren in Europe are brought into a strait place, but because of this we will not now devote time to criticism and complaints, for criticism and complaints or censure will not bring them through the pressure of the strait place. That which is needed now is genuine sympathy and decided help. We will now individually consider that our brethren are in trouble and must be helped just now in this their time of perplexity and distress. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 1
As there is a decided sympathy between heaven and earth, and as God sees fit to delegate angels to minister unto all who are in need of help, we know that these heavenly representatives of omnipotent power will be commissioned to help in this time of distress. God will impress men to whom He has entrusted capabilities and talents of means to at this time take on the burden of responsibility, and help our Scandinavian brethren, that they may save property which otherwise must be sacrificed. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 2
This is no time to criticize, but every breath should be devoted to speaking words that shall encourage, and every power to actions that shall lift. I will subscribe my name to give three hundred dollars, though this mite I must borrow and pay interest on. If those who can do more than this will do it, it will be returning to the Lord the mercies and blessings which He has given them. All His gifts are entrusted to us, to be disposed of when He requires His own to help brethren, who love the truth and are working for its advancement, to recover their standing. Shall we not make a pull, a firm, strong, united pull, helping not selfishly nor grudgingly, but cheerfully and uncomplainingly? 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 3
One of the employments of the heavenly angels is to visit our world and oversee the work of the Lord which is in the hands of His stewards. They are to minister in every necessity of God’s elect, who are striving to be victorious overcomers, the acknowledged heirs of salvation. These heavenly intelligences are represented as desiring to look into the plan and scheme of redemption, and the angelic host rejoice in the repentance of one soul who is brought to Christ, who by faith takes hold of the personal merits of Christ as his personal Saviour. There is joy in heaven when fallen men are so transformed by the grace of God as to become compassionate, touched with human woe; for in loving their fallen brother as God and Christ love them, they evidence that they are partakers of Christ’s attributes. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 4
Angels are interested in the spiritual welfare of all who are seeking to restore the moral image of God in man, and the human family are to connect with the heavenly family and bind up the wounds and bruises which sin has made. Angelic agencies are connecting their invisible instrumentalities with visible human agencies, forming a relief association with men. Is there not something stimulating and inspiring in this thought that the human instrumentality confers in its actions the blessings of angelic agencies? This work bears the inscription of the divine, for ye are laborers together with God. With what joy and delight all heaven looks upon these blended influences, influences which are acknowledged in the heavenly courts! 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 5
Human agencies are the hands of heavenly instrumentalities. Their acts of unselfish ministry make them partakers in the success which is a result of the relief offered. This is heaven’s way of administering saving power. The knowledge and actions of the heavenly order of workers, united with the knowledge and power which are imparted to human agencies, relieves the situation of the oppressed and distressed. Heavenly angels employ human hands to use their God-given talents in practical ministry. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 6
The very angels who when Satan was seeking the supremacy fought the battle in the heavenly courts, and triumphed on the side of God; the very angels who from their exalted position shouted for joy over the creation of our world, and over the creation of our first parents who were to inhabit the earth; and the angels who witnessed the fall of man through Satan’s deceptions and his expulsion from his Eden home, are most intensely interested to work in union with the fallen, redeemed race in the development of that power which God gives to help every man who will be united with heavenly intelligences to seek and save human beings who are perishing in their sins. If men will become partakers of the divine nature, and separate selfishness from their lives, special talents for helping one another will be granted them. If all will love as Christ has loved, that perishing men may be saved from ruin, O, what a change would come to our world! 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 7
“I will also leave in the midst of thee an afflicted and poor people, and they shall trust in the name of the Lord. The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth; for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid. Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel; be glad and rejoice with all the heart, O daughter of Jerusalem. The Lord hath taken away thy judgments, he hath cast out thine enemy: the king of Israel, even the Lord, is in the midst of thee: thou shalt not see evil any more. In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem, Fear thou not: and to Zion, Let not thine hands be slack. The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty: he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy, he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.” [Zephaniah 3:12-17.] What a representation is this! Can we take it in? 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 8
“I will gather them that are sorrowful for the solemn assembly, who are of thee, to whom the reproach of it was a burden. Behold, at that time I will undo all that afflict thee: and I will save her that halteth, and gather her that was driven out; and I will get them praise and fame in every land where they have been put to shame. At that time will I bring you again, even in the time that I gather you: for I will make you a name and a praise among all people of the earth when I turn back your captivity before your eyes, saith the Lord.” [Verses 18-20.] Read Haggai chapter one. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 9
It is becoming that all who realize the near coming of the Lord act their faith. We see one of God’s instrumentalities languishing, and let those who are heart and soul in the work manifest their interest. If we will be as mind and heart and hands with the heavenly intelligences, we can be worked by them. When human agencies will unitedly take of the Lord’s own substance to make up a deficiency that has occurred in the Lord’s institutions, that they shall not be left to be extinguished, the Lord will co-operate with them. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 10
“And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep, and said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes for the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof: and two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof. So I answered and spake to the angel that talked with me, saying, What are these, my lord? 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 11
“Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts. Who art thou, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it. Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house: his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto you. For who hath despised the day of small things? For they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hands of Zerubbabel with those seven. They are the eyes of the Lord, which run to and fro through the whole earth. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 12
“Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches, which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves? And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.” [Zechariah 4:1-14.] 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 13
Men are required to receive and to impart from the heavenly agencies. Just as soon as God’s institutions close their hearts to the dire necessities of sister institutions, and do not make every effort possible to act their part to relieve them, but selfishly say, Let them suffer, a time will come when they will have to pass through a similar experience of humiliation. But you do not mean to do this, brethren, I know you will not do this. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 14
“And I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and, behold, there came four chariots out from between two mountains; and the mountains were mountains of brass. In the first chariot were red horses; and in the second chariot black horses; and in the third chariot white horses; and in the fourth chariot grizzled and bay horses. Then I answered and said unto the angel that talked with me, What are these, my lord? And the angel answered and said unto me, These are the four spirits of the heavens, which go forth from standing before the Lord of all the earth. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 15
“The black horses which are therein go forth into the north country; and the white go forth after them; and the grizzled go forth toward the south country. And the bay went forth, and sought to go that they might walk to and fro through the earth: and he said, Get you hence, walk to and fro through the earth. So they walked to and fro to the earth. Then cried he upon me, and spake unto me, saying, Behold, these that go toward the north country have quieted my spirit in the north country.” [Zechariah 6:1-8.] The Lord’s eyes are open to the working of the whole cause of God. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 16
When one of God’s instrumentalities, which is engaged in doing His work, shall through some lack of judgment fall into decay, let those institutions which are in a more prosperous condition do to the uttermost of their ability to lift the crippled institution to its feet, that the name of God be not dishonored. We need every facility that is in Europe to stand in a healthy, wholesome condition before an ungodly world. Let not the angels of God who are ministering unto those who bear the responsibilities see the hearts of God’s workers made sad. Already the difficulties have increased by delay, so that it will be a greater expense to cure the bruises and wounds of the institution. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 17
“And the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, Take of them of the captivity, even of Heldai, of Tobijah, and of Jedaiah, which are come from Babylon, and come thou the same day, and go into the house of Josiah the son of Zephaniah; then take silver and gold, and make crowns, and set them upon the head of Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest; and speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the Lord of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is the BRANCH. And he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the Lord: even he shall build the temple of the Lord: and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne: and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 18
“And the crowns shall be to Helem, and to Tobijah, and to Jedaiah, and to Hen, the son of Zephaniah, for a memorial in the temple of the Lord. And they that are far off shall come and build in the temple of the Lord, and ye shall know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto you. And this shall come to pass, if ye will diligently obey the voice of the Lord your God.” [Verses 9-15.] 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 19
In the name of the Lord we ask His people who have means to arise and realize that God, who is owner of all property which His believing ones possess, shall prove themselves faithful stewards of God. Repair the condition of God’s working machinery, that the hearts of God’s people shall not be made sad. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 20
“And it came to pass in the fourth year of king Darius, that the word of the Lord came unto Zechariah, in the fourth day of the ninth month, in Chislen; when they had sent unto the house of God Sherezer and Regem-melech, and their men, to pray before the Lord, and to speak unto the priests which were in the house of the Lord of hosts, and to the prophets, saying, Should I weep in the fifth month, separating myself, as I have done these so many years? Then came the word of the Lord of hosts unto me, saying, Speak unto all the people of the Lord, and to the priests, saying, When ye fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh months, even those seventy years, did ye at all fast unto me, even to me? And when ye did eat, and when ye did drink, did ye not eat for yourselves, and drink for yourselves? Should ye not hear the words which the Lord hath cried by the former prophets, when Jerusalem was inhabited and in prosperity, and the cities thereof round about her, when men inhabited the south and the plain? 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 21
“And the word of the Lord came unto Zechariah, saying, Thus speaketh the Lord of hosts, saying, Execute true judgment, and show mercy and compassions every man to his brother: and oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in his heart.” [Zechariah 7:1-10.] This is the Word of the Lord. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 22
I cannot think that the closing part of this chapter will be the course that you will pursue. “But they refused to hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears, that they should not hear. Yea, they made their hearts as an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law, and the words which the Lord of hosts hath sent in his Spirit by the former prophets: therefore came a great wrath from the Lord of hosts. Therefore it is come to pass, that as he cried, and they would not hear; so they cried, and I would not hear, saith the Lord of hosts: but I scattered them with a whirlwind among all the nations whom they knew not. Thus the land was desolate after them, that no man passed through nor returned: for they laid the pleasant land desolate.” [Verses 11-14.] 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 23
Talk not words of censure. Lay not the blame upon this one or that one. It is a fact that there is now need of the help which all can bring to heal the breach that has been made. Do it cheerfully. Do it nobly. Come up to the help of the Lord, to the help of the Lord against the mighty. Redeem at once the institution that is in great peril. This can be done if all will take hold and redeem this heavily debt-burdened institution, and in doing this the blessing of the Lord will be upon you. It can be done, and in the name of the Lord lay hold of it. Let all work with courage and with cheerfulness and with joy, and this very work will prove a great blessing in the experience of all who lay hold upon it and carry it through successfully. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 24
There is a great work to be done in Europe. All heaven takes an interest not only in lands that are nigh and that need our help, but in lands that are afar off. All the inhabitants of heaven are in active service, ministering to a fallen world. They take a deep and fervent interest in the salvation of men, the fallen inhabitants of this world. These heavenly beings are watching and waiting for human agencies to be deeply moved over their fellow workmen who are in perplexity and trial and sorrow and distress. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 25
Human agencies are called to be hand helpers, to work out the knowledge and use the facilities of heavenly angels. By uniting with these powers that are omnipotent, they will be benefited by their higher education and experience. The Lord’s entrusted talents will be efficacious if used to do the work entrusted to God’s instrumentalities, that they may stand again in independence. All heaven is watching those instrumentalities that have been as the hand to work out the purposes of God in the earth, thus doing the will and purpose of God in heaven. Such a co-operation will accomplish a work which will give honor and glory and majesty to God. 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 26
There is a work to be done for souls in foreign countries. Let no hand become slack or palsied, when you have the assurance that angels, whose home is in the pavilion of the Eternal, in the presence of God, and who see the glory of God, are your helpers. Will you co-operate with them in building up every institution under the supervision of the angelic ministration? 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 27
Who can understand the value of the human souls for whom their Prince, their King, the Son of the infinite God, gave His spotless life to a shameful death to save all who should believe on Him? If all understood this as they should, what a work would go forth from their hands in most earnest, persevering efforts to go deeper than they have ever gone before, because through the Holy Spirit’s working they may with the influence of their voice and their talent of means lead many souls to escape the chains of darkness and the hellish plottings of Satan, and become washed from their sins in the blood of the Lamb. O! let the work go on deeper and still deeper. Angels in heaven rejoice to see sinners repent and turn to the living God. “Ye are not your own; for ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.” [1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.] 15LtMs, Ms 65a, 1900, par. 28
Notes for chapter 7
Revelation 7:17. Why are there tears in heaven that need to be wiped away by God?
- •The numbers are literal, many understood symbolically (1260, 42 months, half an hour, 7…)
- •Not all the tribes are there… (Where’s Dan?, Why Manasses?)
- •The chapter is symbolic (four angels, four corners, four winds, earth, sea, tree, angel ascending from the east, seal of the living God)
- •So with a symbolic seal to be put symbolically on our foreheads, with the earth, sea, and trees to be kept safe from a symbolic wind, why should we say the number 144,000 is literal? Symbolic or literal, it will be a small number:
- •Genesis 4:1-15, Abel – 1
- •Genesis 6-7, Flood – 8
- •Genesis 18-19, Sodom – 3
- •Numbers 13-14, Wilderness – 2
- •Daniel 3, Furnace – 3
- •Daniel 6, Lions den – 1
- •Mark 6:14-29, John the Baptist – 1
- •Acts 1-2, Upper room – 120, etc. [all symbolic of the end]).
- •John never saw – he heard the number, but SAW the great multitude (Rev. 7:4-9)
- •Rev. 1:10-12, he heard a voice, saw a candlestick and the Son of Man
- •Rev. 5:5-6, he heard there was a lion, saw a lamb as it had been slain
- •Rev. 17:1-3, he heard about a harlot sitting on waters, saw a woman sitting on a red beast
- •Rev. 21:9-10, he heard about the bride, the Lamb’s wife, saw the holy Jerusalem
- •The great multitude are the ones who came out of the “great tribulation”
- Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
- Revelation 2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
- Revelation 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
- •Palm branches are in their hands, used during the feast of tabernacles—after the 1,000 years.
- •Revelation 21:16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
- Consider: if the building was foursquare, four sides/corners, the top has four sides/corners, and the bottom has four sides/corners = 12 sides/corners. 12,000*12= 144k
Now will I praise the LORD: – Judah – Gen 29:35 (for)
Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction – Reuben – Gen. 29:32 (.)
A troop cometh – Gad – Gen 30:11 (and)
Happy am I – Asher – Gen 30:13 (for)
With great wrestlings have I wrestled – Naphtali – Gen 30:8 (and)
God… hath made me forget all my toil – Manasseh – Gen 41:51 (for)
The LORD hath heard that I was hated – Simeon – Gen 29:33 (.)
Now this time will my husband be joined unto me – Levi – Gen 29:34 (.)
God hath given me my hire – Issachar – Gen 30:18 (and)
God hath endued me with a good dowry – Zebulun – Gen 30:20 (and)
God hath taken away my reproach – Joseph – Gen 30:23-24 (for I will be)
The son of the right hand – Benjamin – Gen 35:18 – margin
Jer. 3:12 Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.
Jer. 3:13 Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD.
Jer. 3:14 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:
“It is not His will that they shall get into controversy over questions which will not help them spiritually, such as, Who is to compose the hundred and forty-four thousand? This those who are the elect of God will in a short time know without question.” 1SM 174.3
Notes for chapter 8
“Here are my questions about Revelation 8.”
In Revelation 8:1 there is silence in heaven for a half an hour. I have always understood this as not literal, but prophetic time (7.5 days) but in Revelation 10:6 the angel says that there would be time no longer, which I have always understood to mean that there would be no more prophetic time. How do the two work together?
- “This message announces the end of the prophetic periods.” 2SM 108.1
- “This time, which the Angel declares with a solemn oath, is not the end of this world’s history, neither of probationary time, but of prophetic time, which would precede the advent of our Lord. That is, the people will not have another message upon definite time. After this period of time, reaching from 1842 to 1844, there can be no definite tracing of the prophetic time. The longest reckoning reaches to the autumn of 1844.” CTr 344.5
In Revelation 8:3-5, What is the golden censer and the fire of the alter, referring to? Is it referring to the Holy Spirit?
Is the incense which was given to the angel referring to prayers?
Is the lightning referring to the ministering angels?
In Revelation 8:3-5, where is Jesus, in the Holy or Most Holy place? I thought He was in the Holy Place because of this quote: “He saw an angel “having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.” Revelation 4:5; 8:3. Here the prophet was permitted to behold the first apartment of the sanctuary in heaven; and he saw there the “seven lamps of fire” and the “golden altar” represented by the golden candlestick and the altar of incense in the sanctuary on earth.” CIHS 36.1
but some other quotes made me question…
“I saw angels hurrying to and fro in heaven. An angel with a writer’s inkhorn by his side returned from the earth and reported to Jesus that his work was done, and the saints were numbered and sealed. Then I saw Jesus, who had been ministering before the ark containing the ten commandments, throw down the censer. He raised His hands, and with a loud voice said, ” It is done.” And all the angelic host laid off their crowns as Jesus made the solemn declaration, “He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.” EW 279.2
“In the first apartment I saw the candlestick with seven lamps, which looked rich and glorious; also the table on which was the shew-bread, and the altar of incense, and the censer. All the furniture of this apartment looked like purest gold, and reflected the image of the one who entered that place. The curtain which separated these two apartments looked glorious. It was of different colors and material, with a beautiful border, with figures of gold wrought upon it, representing angels. The vail was lifted, and I looked into the second apartment. I saw there an ark which had the appearance of being of the finest gold. As a border around the top of the ark, was most beautiful work representing crowns. It was of fine gold. In the ark were the tables of stone containing the ten commandments. On each end of the ark was a lovely cherub with their wings spread out over it. Their wings were raised on high, and touched each other above the head of Jesus, as he stood by the ark. Their faces were turned towards each other, and they looked downwards to the ark, representing all the angelic host looking with interest at the law of God. Between the cherubim was a golden censer. And as the prayers of the saints in faith came up to Jesus, and he offered them to his Father, a sweet fragrance arose from the incense. It looked like smoke of most beautiful colors. Above the place where Jesus stood, before the ark, I saw an exceeding bright glory that I could not look upon. It appeared like a throne where God dwelt. As the incense ascended up to the Father, the excellent glory came from the Father’s throne to Jesus, and from Jesus it was shed upon those whose prayers had come up like sweet incense. Light and glory poured upon Jesus in rich abundance, and overshadowed the mercy-seat, and the train of the glory filled the temple. I could not long look upon the glory. No language can describe it. I was overwhelmed, and turned from the majesty and glory of the scene.” 1SG 158.1
Question again: In Revelation 8:3-5, where is Jesus, in the Holy or Most Holy place?
- Lev. 16:12 And he shall take a censer full of burning coals of fire from off the altar before the LORD, and his hands full of sweet incense beaten small, and bring it within the vail.
- Num. 16:46 And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a censer, and put fire therein from off the altar, and put on incense, and go quickly unto the congregation, and make an atonement for them: for there is wrath gone out from the LORD; the plague is begun.
Notes for chapter 9
I have read a couple of interpretations of the hour, day, month and year of Rev 9:15. Literal, prophetic, meaning, time frame? Your thoughts please.
- “In the year 1840 another remarkable fulfillment of prophecy excited widespread interest. Two years before, Josiah Litch, one of the leading ministers preaching the second advent, published an exposition of Revelation 9, predicting the fall of the Ottoman Empire. According to his calculations, this power was to be overthrown “in A.D. 1840, sometime in the month of August;” and only a few days previous to its accomplishment he wrote: “Allowing the first period, 150 years, to have been exactly fulfilled before Deacozes ascended the throne by permission of the Turks, and that the 391 years, fifteen days, commenced at the close of the first period, it will end on the 11th of August, 1840, when the Ottoman power in Constantinople may be expected to be broken. And this, I believe, will be found to be the case.”—Josiah Litch, in Signs of the Times, and Expositor of Prophecy, August 1, 1840.
At the very time specified, Turkey, through her ambassadors, accepted the protection of the allied powers of Europe, and thus placed herself under the control of Christian nations. The event exactly fulfilled the prediction. (See Appendix.) When it became known, multitudes were convinced of the correctness of the principles of prophetic interpretation adopted by Miller and his associates, and a wonderful impetus was given to the advent movement. Men of learning and position united with Miller, both in preaching and in publishing his views, and from 1840 to 1844 the work rapidly extended.” GC 334.3-GC 335.1
- Page 335. Fall of the Ottoman Empire.—The impact of Moslem Turkey upon Europe after the fall of Constantinople in 1453 was as severe as had been the catastrophic conquests of the Moslem Saracens, during the century and a half after the death of Mohammed, upon the Eastern Roman Empire. Throughout the Reformation era, Turkey was a continual threat at the Eastern gates of European Christendom; the writings of the Reformers are full of condemnation of the Ottoman power. Christian writers since have been concerned with the role of Turkey in future world events, and commentators on prophecy have seen Turkish power and its decline forecast in Scripture.
For the latter chapter, under the “hour, day, month, year” prophecy, as part of the sixth trumpet, Josiah Litch worked out an application of the time prophecy, terminating Turkish independence in August, 1840. Litch’s view can be found in full in his The Probability of the Second Coming of Christ about A.D. 1843 (published in June, 1838); An Address to the Clergy (published in the spring of 1840; a second edition, with historical data in support of the accuracy of former calculations of the prophetic period extending to the fall of the Ottoman Empire, was published in 1841); and an article in Signs of the Times and Expositor of Prophecy, August 1, 1840. See also article in The Signs of the Times and Expositor of Prophecy, February 1, 1841; and J. N. Loughborough, The Great Second Advent Movement (1905 ed.), pp. 129-132. The book by Uriah Smith, Thoughts on Daniel and the Revelation, rev. ed. off 1944, discusses the prophetic timing of this prophecy on pages 506-517.
For the earlier history of the Ottoman Empire and the decline of the Turkish power, see also William Miller, The Ottoman Empire and Its Successors, 1801-1927 (Cambridge, England: University Press, 1936); George G. S. L. Eversley, The Turkish Empire from 1288 to 1914 (London : T. Fisher Unwin, Ltd., 2d ed., 1923); Joseph von Hammer-Purgstall, Geschichte des Osmannischen Reiches (Pesth: C. A. Hartleben, 2d ed., 1834-36), 4 vols.; Herbert A. Gibbons, Foundation of the Ottoman Empire, 1300-1403 (Oxford: University Press, 1916); Arnold J. Toynbee and Kenneth B. Kirkwood, Turkey (London, 1926). GC 691.1-GC 691.3
Are the trumpets and the bowls at the same time? i.e., are the trumpets in the future?
- No, they are not in the future. Here are a few reasons why in the Revelation:
- The 7 yearly Jewish festivals are in chronological order in the Revelation:
- Passover (chapter 1)
- Unleavened Bread (chapter 1)
- First fruits (chapter 1)
- Pentecost (chapter 5)
- Trumpets (chapter 8-11)
- Day of Atonement (chapter 11)
- Tabernacles (chapter 21)
- The sanctuary furniture is in order from the east to the west:
- No, they are not in the future. Here are a few reasons why in the Revelation:
- The door (Christ in chapter 1)
- Candlesticks (chapter 1)
- Table of shewbread (chapter 4-5)
- Altar of incense (chapter 8)
- Ark of the testimony (chapter 11)
- Glory of the God (chapter 15)
- The trumpets cover 1/3 of many things, whereas the plagues are global.
Trumpets Similar to the Vials
1st trumpet = earth, 8:7
2nd trumpet = sea, 8:8
3rd trumpet = fountains of waters, 8:10
4th trumpet = sun, 8:12
5th trumpet = darkness, 9:2
6th trumpet = Euphrates, 9:14
7th trumpet = kingdom, voice, quake, 11:15
1st plague = earth, 16:2
2nd plague = sea, 16:3
3rd plague = fountains of waters, 16:4
4th plague = sun, 16:8
5th plague = darkness, 16:10
6th plague = Euphrates, 16:12
7th plague = kingdom, voice, quake, 16:17
Why is the language of Revelation 9:4 so similar to Revelation 7:3? Aren’t they completely different time periods?
- Yes! Have people ever been sealed before us? What about Enoch?
- “There are Enochs in this our day.” COL 332.1
- John 3:33 He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.
- John 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
- Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
- Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Notes for chapter 10
Coming soon. =)