John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
John 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
- Notice the context:
- John 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
- Notice the context:
- John 8:16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
John 9:5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
- Notice other verses which built on this idea:
- John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
- John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
- John 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
- 2 Corinthians 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
John 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
- Notice to whom Christ was sent:
- Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
- John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
John 10:14-15 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. 15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
- Notice the context before the next “I am” statement:
- John 10:27-36 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and my Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods [spoken here in Greek, but the Old Testament would have rendered this word as Elohiym]? 35 If he called them gods [Elohiym in the OT], unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
- Notice the several ways the word Elohiym is used:
- Genesis 30:8 And Rachel said, With great [Elohiym] wrestlings have I wrestled with my sister, and I have prevailed: and she called his name Naphtali.
- Exodus 7:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god [Elohiym] to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.
- Exodus 9:28 Intreat the LORD (for it is enough) that there be no more mighty [Elohiym] thunderings and hail; and I will let you go, and ye shall stay no longer.
- Exodus 21:6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges [Elohiym]; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
- Exodus 22:8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall be brought unto the judges [Elohiym], to see whether he have put his hand unto his neighbour’s goods. 9 For all manner of trespass, whether it be for ox, for ass, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, which another challengeth to be his, the cause of both parties shall come before the judges [Elohiym]; and whom the judges [Elohiym] shall condemn, he shall pay double unto his neighbour.
- 1 Samuel 2:25 If one man sin against another, the judge [Elohiym] shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them.
- 1 Samuel 14:15 And there was trembling in the host, in the field, and among all the people: the garrison, and the spoilers, they also trembled, and the earth quaked: so it was a very great [Elohiym] trembling.
- Psalms 8:5 For thou hast made him [man] a little lower than the angels [Elohiym], and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
- Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye [Israelites] are gods [Elohiym]; and all of you are children of the most High.
- Jonah 3:3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding [Elohiym] great city of three days’ journey.
- Malachi 2:15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly [Elohiym] seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
- Notice who resurrects:
- 2 Corinthians 4:14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.
John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
- Notice what the Father does for the Son:
- John 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
- Now notice what the Son does for His disciples:
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
- John 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
- This section must be understood as well in light of the “I am” statements of Jesus:
John 8:53-59 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? 54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
- Notice the context:
- John 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.